October 12, 2009

Meant To Be...

The Beginning: October 17, 2008




*DISCLAIMER: This post talks about our journey with birth control. If you don't want to know, don't read.

I always said that I wanted to wait a few years after getting married to start having babies. That was my plan, but things don't always go according to plan. A week before John-Charles and I were to be married I went into the OB/GYN to have an IUD placed. I had heard amazing things about the IUD and thought it would be the perfect form of birth control for me. I was sadly disappointed when, as I was in the stirrups and drugged up for the procedure, the OB/GYN informed me that my cervix was too small and that I was the 1 out of 4 women, who hasn't had a baby, who wouldn't be able to have the IUD. I walked out of the room bawling my eyes out because I had no idea what to do for birth control now. What was I going to do?! I was getting married in a week and that is way too late to start the pill? Needless to say I was freaking out but I had to pick some form of birth control because I did not want to have a baby yet and we really didn't want to use condoms. I picked the NuvaRing and thought it would be the second best option. Much to my dismay, three days before we were to be wed I broke out in an intense rash all over my body. I was ALLERGIC to the NuvaRing! So, on our wedding night we had no choice but to use condoms which we both were pretty bummed about. However, our wedding night was still amazing. We continued to use condoms for the first little while, but when we went back to St. Louis for our wedding reception in November we both had the distinct impression that we were supposed to have a baby. Us, John-Charles and Ashley,have a baby? What? It hasn't been two years yet? But, yes, things don't always go according to plan and I am so glad that they didn't now. I have the most beautiful, sweet, loving baby in the world. She is more than I could have ever imagined my daughter could be. Motherhood is glorious and I am so glad that I didn't have to wait two years to find out. I guess that all of our birth control drama was just telling us it was meant to be.



Penny at 6 weeks right after a bath


We figured out that I got pregnant right before my Dad passed away.



It was so comforting to know that my Dad would be watching over my baby and who knows he may have even given her the lowdown on our family up in heaven. I do know that he was/is my guardian angel and watched out for Penny and I during my pregnancy. Thank you Dad for keeping my little girl safe. I love you!



14 Weeks Pregnant



23 weeks Pregnant





25 Weeks Pregnant




28 Weeks pregnant



38 Weeks Pregnant

3 comments:

Courtney Bready said...

That is so sweet Ashley!

And I want one SOO bad!! Unfortunately, we haven't been told yet that it's time. But looking at your pictures definitely helps ease my pain :) We are so happy for you and your little family!

Lyssa Beth said...

What a sweet post :) I love that pic of Penny!
I'm glad that you both had the impression to start a family. It was well worth it!

Carly A said...

Babies are so wonderful, huh! I can't imagine life without them! Ave and Pierson have been mine and Michael's greatest blessing. Nothing brings two people closer than a sweet little babe! I'm glad Penelope is here!