May 04, 2010

Ashley is Graduating!


 I took the plunge and declared Family Life: Home and Family Living so that I can graduated in August!  It was a big decision for me to make the big switch for many reasons but to name a few:

1. I was afraid of people judging me for graduating in Family Life: Home and Family Living because people think it's just an M.R.S degree. 
   
  *It is not. It is an incredible way to get an education on what is most important in life and you learn many valuable skills/knowledge that you can use in ALL facets of your life.

2. I wasn't sure if I was really ready to be done with BYU yet. It was a miracle that I was accepted in the first place and to think about it being over is kind of emotional thing for me.

3. If I graduated I would have to start paying back my student loans. YUCK.  Thank goodness we live with my in-laws. Due to their amazing generosity, when I graduate and start paying back student loans, we, thankfully, won't end up in the poor house.

4. If I ever needed to work, say if John-Charles was injured and couldn't work or, heaven forbid, if he passed away, what kind of job could I get with this degree besides being a mother and wife?

I have been pondering this big decision, and mainly the above questions, for months and the answer of 'what to do' hasn't come easily. There have been many prayers, blessings, tears, anxieties, etc. in the whole process.  However, during winter semester I started feeling more at peace with declaring Home and Family Living and graduating.  To be honest, it was mainly financial reasons that made me very hesitant to graduate. With me going to school, in addition to John-Charles attending school, we get double the grant money; yet, I realized that this is really a stupid/selfish reason for staying in school. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more important than my husband and daughter.  I just needed to practice a little faith and believe that we would make it financially. With God's help, we will provide for our needs. It is far more important for me to be at home with my little one, raising her, loving her, and being the mother she deserves than any amount of money that we could get. Also, it is more fair to John-Charles because he won't have to juggle his school schedule with mine, and us coordinating who will be with Pen-Pen.  Since I have made the decision, declared the major, and applied for graduation I have felt extremely at peace with my decision and know that is the right one.

                                                  April 2010-Penny with her 'twin'--Micaella's baby doll

    April 2010-The Terry family (Penny is 8-months-old) with the new addition to the Benitez family, little Joshua Benitez!


I still have 18 more credits to complete before I can graduate. So, I am taking 9 credits on campus Spring term, 2 independent study classes, and 1 class on campus Summer term. It will definitely make for a busy 16 weeks, and also means that I will miss out on making memories with my family when they come in town next month for the big Crowley family reunion, but it's so worth it. John-Charles is being the stay-at-home-daddy while I finish up school. He is such a great husband and father. I just love him so much!

Someday I hope to complete a master's degree or some other vocational degree. Who knows, maybe nursing or a master's in teaching or family therapy, or heck, maybe even hair school? :) I have so many interest in life it has been hard for me to narrow down what I want to do (i.e. first majoring in History Teaching, then Public Health, and now Home and Family Living). What? It took me 6 years to graduate? :)

All I know is that I am thankful for the guidance that I have received from my Heavenly Father, and know that He is aware of all my wants, needs, anxieties, hopes, etc.  I testify, that I know that He knows me personally. It has been amazing to witness Him weaving the threads of my life on a constant basis through these 24 years.

So, basically, what I am trying to say is that, as of August 13, 2010 I will be a professional, full-time, stay-at-home mommy and wife!

5 comments:

Sara said...

AWESOME ASHLEY!!! THAT IS GREAT!! A lot of work, but well worth it!!! GOOD LUCK! Hope to see you atleast a couple times though during your busy summer! Love ya!

Lyssa Beth said...

I love your decision. Makes me look good too ;) That's exactly what I did before moving to TX 5 years ago. I too took 9 credits Spring Semeseter to finish up my English major...hardest semester but also was my best semester: 3.9 GPA!
You can do it! And it will definitely be worth it when you are done and can be at home. I promise!
Be strong. You will be able to do it. I am proud of you ASH!!

Cali Haynie Rutter said...

Yay!! That is very exciting!! You go girl!! haha! You are already an amazing mommy! I can tell!!

Penny is gorgeous as always!! Much love!

Carly A said...

I can't believe how much that doll looks like Penny. Facial expression and everything. I am proud of you for making such a big decision. Good luck these next few months! I'm going to call you soon.

Jules said...

I am writing on Julie's account.
What a darling mom and baby!